Welcome to Movie Mania Madness. I hope you enjoy your time reading this blog! Here’s some information about the author:
Name: Daniel S Levine
Education: Brockton (Massachusetts) High School 2007, Hofstra University 2011
Major: Print Journalism
Minor: Political Science
- communities intern at The Florida Times-Union in Summer, 2009
- editorial intern at PCMag.com in Fall, 2010
- film writer at buzzlegoose.com (Summer 2010 – Winter 2011)
- intern at TheCelebrityCafe.com (Spring 2011)
- Senior Editor, Deputy Editor at TheCelebrityCafe.com (2011-2016)
- Contributor at Heavy.com (2016- )
- attended 2014 Turner Classic Movies Classic Film Festival, 2014 Savannah Film Festival, 2015 SXSW, 2015 Savannah Film Festival, 2015 New York Comic-Con, 2015 SXSW and 2016 TCM Classic Film Festival
I’ve been blogging since 2006, starting here and here. These two blogs covered music, but I have gained experience writing film reviews and since my interest in film is even greater than that in music, I decided that I’m more comfortable with film. Film has been important in my life, having grown up with a grandfather who filled two rooms in his house with tapes of classics.
I have no particular favorite film genre. My general rule is that it is a terrible idea to dismiss a film strictly based on its genre or even language. While I will admit that my interest in films made outside of the Western world is not as strong as it should be, this is really only because of a lack of exposure to them.
If you want to fully appreciate all that film has to offer, you need to go outside of your comfort zone all of the time. Look outside the big American auteurs and never, ever put down a movie just because it’s not in English. Some of the greatest films of all time are not in English. Never shy away from black and white or silent films.
This blog will reflect my journey as I make my attempt to get as familiar with the best – and worst – that cinema has to offer. It will also act as a connection to my work posted at other sites.